Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Railrunner 10 miler

The 2013 inaugural Railrunner 10 miler and 5k was held at RJ Corman's (railroad business) headquarters in Nicholasville, KY. Both races were held on Corman's private paved roads, and the 10 miler also included a run across Lucas Field (Corman's private airport). The course was relatively flat, but being located in Central Kentucky, it included some rolling terrain, and the airport added a bit of a challenge as well. 

Personally, I was not sure exactly what to expect. The weather was relatively ideal, in the upper 30s/lower 40s, but a bit breezy. I had been battling a bit of a cold or allergies, but once my adrenaline started pumping, I do not think it was too great of a factor. Also, I had never officially raced a 10 miler before. Based on my previous 10k and half marathon times, I decided that if I ran a sub-7:20 pace, I would be content. This would be a good warm up race for the Run the Bluegrass Half at the end of the month.

At the end, 360 participants completed the 10 miler, and 224 completed the 5k. My finishing time was 1:11: 10 (according to my Garmin), or 1:11:20 (according to the official chip time). It equaled a 7:08 pace, well within my targeted time, and was good enough for 26th overall, and 4th in my age group, while just seconds away from 3rd and 2nd, and a couple minutes short of 1st. I was satisfied, but also left to ponder what if..


Finsihing @ 51:50 mark

No comments:

Post a Comment